Monday, August 15, 2011

What my kiddo taught me today

As a parent I often think of all of the things I need and want to teach to my children--empathy, kindness, responsibility, obedience, respect, etc. Sometimes I forget to notice all of the things he teaches me. When he smiles at a stranger even though he's feeling a little grumpy, he teaches me about putting others first. When he wakes up for that 6am feeding, he teaches me about love and patience. When I am trying to tidy up the house and he wants to play, he teaches me about keeping proper priorities in this life. I'm positive Heavenly Father sent these little souls to Earth to teach the parents at least as much as he sent the children to learn from their earthly fathers and mothers.

Today Hyrum taught me about forgiveness. Oh how I felt like a terrible mommy today. When we were out for our morning walk I somehow tripped as I was getting onto the sidewalk. He was in the baby carrier at the time and even though my hands and knees took the brunt of the fall, his poor little head scraped the sidewalk. He cried and cried, probably mostly from fear and shock. But after a few minutes of cuddling, a little nursing (on the sidewalk, might I add) he calmed down, snuggled in, and was ready to continue on home.

After spending the better part of the day in the ER just to make sure everything was okie dokie (since we don't have to pay to see a doctor here, being safe rather than sorry isn't going to break the bank!), Hyrum didn't even seem phased by the whole incident. I felt awful but he seemed to be doing great. Isn't it so wonderful how children are so forgiving? They don't hold a grudge like we do and question why. They don't continually bring up our mistakes as a way to make us feel bad. They simply ask for the comfort they need in the moment and then move on.

Sometimes I think about how much an attitude like that would change my life. Instead of remembering the hurt someone has caused me, remember the comfort they gave. Instead of questioning why, offer forgiveness. Instead of dwelling on the past or worrying about the future, live in the present. Think of how different the world would be if we would all learn from our children.

Goodness knows I have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment